I knew it would be big, but not this big this fast. 1 million handsets have now been sold or are on order - that equates to almost 5% of the Australian population having one!
To that end, thought I'd open up a discussion on the broader impacts of this huge consumer reaction.
My 2 cents on what it will all mean.....
- Increased usage of the mobile web - this is a given and something we are aware of....BUT at what cost? What happens when you get your first bill and it's enormous? Are the Telco's doing enough to bring data charges down?
- Mobile phone company switching, can't get it through Optus? Go to Telstra
- Short term impact on consumption of other media - surely at least once you first have one in your hot little hands you will be spending a lot of time getting to know it
- Long term impact on media consumption - will there by any? If so where what would you sacrifice?
- More downloading and podcasting
- More music video viewing
- Increased use of other handsets/smartphones functionality?
Must run now but would appreciate hearing your thoughts.